Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The end of maternity leave, but not really


It has been 16 weeks since Noah was born.  It feels like a big milestone for me, because this is when I went back to work after I had Evie.  This time I am not going back.  I've had quite a range of thoughts and feelings about this change, but I'm finally feeling at peace with it.  We are settling into a good at-home routine, and I feel like I am enjoying and appreciating this time with my kids now that I've accepted this as my new role.  I like my new boss much better, too!  :-)

It's hard to believe that it was exactly a year ago that we had a positive pregnancy test...what a difference a year makes!  We could never have imagined the joy Noah would bring to us.
Noah, as compared to a stuffed salmon...yup, it's a unit of measure in our house

Mr. Smiles in his crib

Sleepy boy with Daddy
We knew it was bound to happen, but Evie got infected with her first preschool germs and had to stay home one day last week with a cold.  Another day, both kids slept in until 8:30am (YES!).  These are the things that remind me how fortunate I am to be at home without the pressures of a work schedule.

Holding hands while we were out on a walk.  So cute!
My loves!
Passed out baby...these are the only chances I get to chat on the phone!
Meanwhile, Evie was helping Daddy clean the kegerator.  Good times!
She informed me she was calling Aunt Boo Boo
Evie has been giving "concerts" in the basement.  Noah and I scored front-row seats, but poor Roscoe was up in the nosebleeds!


We had a couple of fun events over the weekend...first, Evie and I went to support Carly when she ran the Color Run.  Great job, Carly!  I think I want to run it next year!


Post-race colorful doughnut
We also had our annual family party at Paula's house, which was a fun chance to catch up with so many friends and family members.  Unfortunately, I didn't take many pictures, because it was a little crazy to try and keep my eyes on both kids while Matt played drums with King Me.  

Grandma Karen trying her hand at the drums

I have to give a play-by-play of a good day after giving the play-by-play of my bad day a few weeks ago.  

8:30 - Evie wakes up (normal wake-up is 7ish)
9:00 - Noah gets up
9:30 - leave for a play date, and we are actually on time
12:30 - get home, have lunch while Noah snoozes in his car seat
1:45 - Evie gets herself ready for her nap without any prodding!  Noah wakes up and nurses while we read books to Evie
2:00 - Evie goes to sleep
2:45 - Noah falls asleep and I start making some cookies, praying I'll get them done before he wakes up
3:30 - both kids still sleeping
4:30 - BOTH kids still sleeping
5:00 - BOTH KIDS STILL SLEEPING!!!
5:15 - wake up
5:30 - Daddy's home and the evening routine commences

And, just for some icing on the cake, I put on a pair of my pre-baby jeans, and they zipped!  I hope I didn't use up all of my good luck in one day.

1 comment:

  1. Nursing in the produce aisle, now that's checked off the bucket list! Oh the things we do.

    ReplyDelete