Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Mom of the year (NOT!)

I usually don't mind Mondays.  We get up, Matt heads to work, and the kids and I go to the grocery store.  It gives us an excuse to get up and out of the house, then we have the afternoon to be home and relax and play.  Yesterday, nothing went according to plan.  Noah woke up, and Evie came up to his room and was playing hide and seek with him.  It was super cute, he was giggling, all was well.  I headed downstairs to get Noah changed and get ready for our grocery trip, and as I was changing him, he rolled over to see what Evie was doing and flipped off the changing table onto the floor.  I actually thought I was being safe by keeping one hand on him and throwing a diaper away with my other hand, but let me tell you, you aren't going to catch a 20+-pound baby with one hand.  It sounded like a soft landing, no big "thud" or anything, so I figured he was just scared (as was I!).

I was able to stay calm, picked him up, nursed him, and got him settled down.  However, every time he changed positions, he'd start crying again.  I had a bad gut feeling that something was wrong, and I was feeling absolutely awful that I had let something like this happen to my precious little guy.  He wouldn't put any pressure on his legs, and he cried when I put him in a sitting position, too.  The only comfortable position seemed to be when I was cradling him.  I ended up calling the pediatrician and we took him in to get checked out.  They examined him thoroughly and when they got to his right upper leg, Noah stiffened out and started screaming.   So, we had to go to the hospital for an X-ray.  Everyone along the way was so nice, and the x-ray technician even put her arm around me and gently told me, "I'm sorry mom, but he does have a small fracture."  Somehow we were able to get right in with the orthopedic specialist, Noah got fitted for a little cast, and he was much happier once his leg couldn't be moved.  The doctor showed us the X-ray with the small break in his femur, told us that he has already started healing, and he will be completely healed in 3 weeks.  He is handling it like a champ, and we are happy to report that his signature gummy smile has returned quickly.  

Evie, meanwhile, has many, many questions.  My personal favorite is, "Why does Noah's leg look like a statue?" (since he can't move the leg that's in the cast).  

Getting ready for the x-ray
Poor guy
Do you love the thigh rolls as much as I do?  I can't believe they came through on the x-ray!
Time for a cast!
So relieved to see him smiling again
Baby cast
Feeling better already

So, other than that, here's a quick summary of our week:
  • The past week was freezing cold, and we barely left the house!  I was pretty stir-crazy by the end of it.
  • Evie has started sleeping in big girl undies at night and has kept them dry every night for a week.  Hooray!  
  • I went to my first MOPS meeting last Tuesday and I'm looking forward to getting to know some of the other moms.  
  • Noah had his first bites of yogurt and didn't love it or hate it.  Just kind of neutral.
  • Matt and I got to go out on Friday AND Saturday night and sleep in until 9:15 on Sunday morning since Evie had a sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa's house.  It was such a treat!
Yup, feels like 25 below zero!
Yum, yum, yogurt!
We had a fun morning with our friend Becca
Lipstick selfie
I got to snuggle baby Anneliese!  I wanted to keep her.
A girl and her old pup

No comments:

Post a Comment