Tuesday, May 6, 2014

37 Weeks, Touch a Truck and Gardening

We are now in the month of May and 37 weeks along in the pregnancy, which means it's the month our baby will be born (hopefully!).  As more time goes by, I'm feeling a sense of relief that the baby is fully developed and could survive in the outside world even if he were born today.  I can't wait to see what he looks like, and I predict he has less hair than Evie did, because my heartburn hasn't been as bad this time around.

Things got real at my midwife visit last week when we discussed when I'll need to come in to the hospital during labor.  She told me that the active part of labor is typically half the length the second time around, and I'm not sure whether I should be excited or afraid of that!  I feel like my brain is overloaded with last-minute preparations and the emotions of all the impending changes in our household.  I am trying to savor my days with Evie and give her all the one-on-one attention I can, and I'm also feeling sad that our days with "just the two of us" are coming to an end.  Yet, she is so excited to meet her baby brother, and I can't wait to see how she reacts to being a big sister.  Then I go back to worrying about my work situation, managing two kids, whether I'll ever be able to get out of the house again, etc.  As we were saying grace before dinner last night, Evie said, "I'm thankful for celery...and for my baby brother who will be coming very soon."  Such a good reminder of what's really important!


As I get larger, my energy level is waning.  I've been needing to lie down more often to get comfortable, and once I'm lying down, I realize how sleepy I am.  Roscoe seems to know that the baby is coming soon, because he's been really clingy and snuggly with me.

For the past month or so, I'm pretty sure I've single-handedly kept Quaker in business with my consumption of Oatmeal Squares cereal.  I don't know why it tastes so good, but any time I'm hungry, this is what I want to eat.  Manna from Heaven!  I haven't had a ton of other cravings, but a few of my favorite foods include these homemade "snack cookies" http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/almond-cranberry-oatmeal-cookies/, kefir, and ice cream (obviously!).

We've been trying to keep a sense of normalcy as we wait for the baby, so we decided to plant a few things in our tiny garden last week.  Lettuce and peas are in, with others to follow once we get some warmer weather, and Evie LOVED the whole process.

We also went to touch-a-truck over the weekend, which was a big hit.  I did my best to be a good sport climbing in and out of the big rigs with my big belly!


Evie loves all the trucks, but she also loves being a girly girl.  Wearing night gowns, setting up birthday/tea parties for all her stuffed animal friends, treating Roscoe like a baby, and playing with Bitty Baby are a few favorite passtimes.  Her imagination is elaborate, and she will spend hours playing make-believe with her toys.  




She's growing up in more than just the way she plays...we are also noticing that she needs less sleep.  She's been waking up earlier and earlier, especially after she's had a long nap on the previous day.  Some days she'll nap for an hour, other days she'll nap for 3 hours and then wake up super early the next day (which always seems to be a Saturday morning, ugh!).  

Lastly, one of my favorite things about having a kid are the unexpected things she'll say that make us laugh.  Here are a couple recent favorites:

"Grandma, we don't have the same skin.  Yours is all wrinkly and mine is smooth."
"Mommy, your breath smells like poop."  (Gee, thanks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment