| Just like a first-day-of-school pic, but this is a "Last Day of Work" photo! |
Seemingly, just as I needed it, my Daily Guideposts reflection on Friday morning reminded me of just what I needed to hear:
"Life teaches us that there are days when we simply have to stay focused, ignore panic, and ascend the mountain. We learn that even though fear is raw, God is with us. We discover that there is no courage devoid of fear; no faith without challenge."
Then, I had a midwife appointment on Friday and was convinced I'd be having the baby within 24 hours with the following stats: 3-4 cm dilated and 60-70% effaced. Hope began to fade as I had some random contractions that afternoon and evening, but nothing that was regular or increasing in strength. The random crampiness and contractions have continued without any signs of labor.
Friday evening, Evie also began having a TERRIBLE time going to bed. She had woken up with a nightmare on Friday morning, refused to nap on Friday afternoon, then had a 2+ hour screaming battle begging us not to leave her in her room at bedtime. It was almost 10:30 by the time we got her to go to sleep, then she woke up again at 11:15, 1:00ish, and then she came into our room at 6:45. Not a good night's sleep for anyone. The following days have been more of the same, and the only solution that we've found to help is if we sit in her room with her while she falls asleep. It's not great, because as soon as she wakes up and realizes we have snuck out, she freaks out again. Saturday night, Matt had to sleep on the floor of her bedroom from 4:00am until she woke up in the morning. Typically, we take a pretty hard line and don't give in to this kind of stuff, but the poor girl is genuinely scared of something, and the more firm we are, the more panicked she gets. We tried a baby gate across her doorway, and she went over it, under it, then knocked it out of the doorway! Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions? I have done some reading on it, and I think that it's related to her anxiety about the new baby and being away from us for a few nights while we're at the hospital. We keep reassuring her, but it doesn't seem to sink in. The longer this phase drags on, the more overwhelmed I'm getting at the thought of waking up to feed an infant while trying to help Evie get back to a normal sleeping pattern. We're all walking around like zombies, and the baby hasn't been born yet!!




No comments:
Post a Comment