Monday, November 11, 2013

First trimester with Baby #2

I mostly wrote some little notes for myself each week of the pregnancy so far, just in case I get any crazy ideas that I want to do this pregnancy thing again in the future!

Overall, I have been exhausted and nauseous (especially in the mornings), as I was when I was pregnant with Evie.  I haven't thrown up as much, though, if you want to look at the bright side!  My food cravings seem different this time, too - I'm not very into cereal, but I have been loving strawberries, banananas and raw veggies or salad.  Macaroni and cheese, toast (my mom's cinnamon swirl bread!), pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and breaded white fish round out the favorites list.  Sadly, I threw up for the first time when I was one day shy of 11 weeks, and on that same day I had a midwives appointment where I had to get a Rhogam shot and a flu shot.  Ahh, the joys of pregnancy!

Here are the week-by-week updates so far :

4 Weeks
Disbelief at the positive pregnancy test.  Still feeling completely normal (and a little shocked).

5 Weeks
Is that queasiness that I'm sensing already?  Maybe this pregnancy won't be as bad as the first!  (ha ha!).   I have myself convinced that I'm going to be tougher this time around.

6 Weeks
Oh, my old friend nausea.  It's like a bad case of deja vu from the first 20 weeks of Evelyn's pregnancy.  I'm hungry all the time, but nothing seems appealing to eat.  Cereal and toast it is.

7 Weeks
First doctor's appointment and first ultrasound to confirm the due date.  My midwife gave me a big hug when she saw me (they are truly wonderful care providers).  It was so reassuring to see the healthy baby and heartbeat on the ultrasound, reminding me that I'm suffering through the nausea and fatigue for a good reason.  I still feel like complete crap and napped on the couch for four hours on Sunday.  Poor Evie is getting her fill of iPhone time, TV shows and tablet time while Mommy is incapacitated.  She's starting to ask why Mommy is sleeping so much, but being very sweet and trying to take care of me!

8 Weeks
Still feeling pretty cruddy.  I've given up hope for trying to do much of anything, and I just grind through my days until I can take a 2-hour nap in the afternoon when Evie is napping.  Sometimes I even use an episode of SuperWHY to keep Evie busy so I can get a 20-minute cat-nap in the morning!  Have I mentioned how awesome Matt has been to take care of everything else while I sleep?

9 Weeks
Blah.  Naps are helping, as are Ritz crackers as soon as I wake up.  My pants are starting to get tight in the belly and I've had to employ the hair elastic trick more than once.  I think I'm having some moments where I feel slightly less sick, but morning hours are still a challenge.  I also wake up to pee at least once every night, and sometimes I find myself ravenous/nauseous at 3am.

10 Weeks
I have had a couple days when I felt really good and other days when I felt really awful.  The biggest challenge right now is the poor nighttime sleep - I'm getting up a couple times a night to go to the bathroom, having weird hormone-induced dreams, and I have been really hungry and nauseous in the middle of the night.  4am is a pretty lonely time to be crunching Ritz crackers and trying not to puke.

11 Weeks
Matt has started making me a PB&J sandwich for nighttime.  I'm not afraid to eat a piece of sandwich at 4am, and it has really helped keep the nighttime nausea at bay.  I had a bit of a scare with some spotting/bleeding this week, but we were greatly relieved to have an ultrasound and see a healthy baby with a beating heart, kicking its little legs and arms all around.  I'm still really exhausted and feeling like a non-functioning member of the family, but trying to focus on being grateful for the healthy baby growing inside me.

12 Weeks
The end of the first trimester is in sight, but I'm still feeling about the same as far as the nausea/exhaustion goes.  My pants are starting to get tight when I sit down, to the point where I had to close my door at work last week and unzip my pants for a few minutes!  I used some free time over the weekend to get my maternity clothes organized and ready to go, because it's not going to be long before I need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment