Tuesday, May 31, 2022

8th Birthday Super Spreader

I actually cried last Sunday when I looked at our schedule for the week.  There wasn't a sliver of free time to catch our breath in between all the fun activities, events, and celebrations from Monday through Friday.  Evie performed in two wonderful concerts (orchestra one night, band the next night), and we made it to all the practices, classes, games and meetings.  Evie and I were feeling really run down by Thursday, and she actually stayed home from school and we took a day to recharge our batteries.

First concert with the big orchestra




Night 2: Band concert!


This was extra special because Evie (far right) and her cousin Colby (sax player on the left) got to perform together in the same band!

LOVE this!

Evie and her friend Claire (a fellow Irish dancer!)





Noah's debut as catcher this past week!  He loved it!


Friday was Noah's 8th birthday, and I was relieved that everyone was feeling well and we could celebrate his big day.  Noah sprung out of bed in the morning and opened his gifts from us before heading off to school.  We picked him up at lunch time, got some take-out for lunch, and headed home to get ready for his family party.  Storms were predicted for the afternoon and evening, so we opted to have the party indoors (*in hindsight: BAD IDEA!*).  Noah was super excited to have everyone here so he could show off his new cymbal set, and he couldn't wait to get to work on his Lego kit as soon as we were done with dinner.  He had a great day!  



Favorite food for lunch - chicken tenders and fries!

New cymbals in action

8 years old!

New Lego set complete!

It's hard to believe that 8 years have passed since Noah joined our family.  He has always had the most charming smile (and dimples!), and he has an incredible ability to notice and describe things.  From the way a food tastes, to the way he might be feeling, to recognizing when someone just needs a hug or a smile, he is very tuned-in.  This year he has added basketball and baseball to his list of favorite sports, as well as a budding interest in woodworking.  Drums, Legos, Star Wars, Air Jordan and the Red Sox are also high on his list.  He is the best snuggler, and he completes our family in the most perfect way!



Saturday morning is when the Covid curveball hit.  Matt and I were supposed to go to a wedding, and they asked all the guests to take a Covid test first, so we took care of ours early.  I was completely and utterly shocked when my test was positive.  Matt's was negative, and both kids were negative, so I put on a mask and tried to quiet my spinning mind while I figured out who to notify first and what to do next.  
I took two tests, because I didn't believe the first one!

Matt and the kids continued about the weekend plans while I stayed home and rested.  They went to the  Memorial Day parade, Matt attended the wedding, and they all went to the Irish Dance competition in NH - all things that I had been really looking forward to attending and I was sad to miss.  Frankie was great company for me at home, and I appreciated the quiet house to rest and take it easy.  Thankfully, my symptoms have been mild, but I've needed to take breaks and lay down periodically.  I have felt so loved and cared for by all the texts, messages, phone calls and offers to help.  You all are the best!


Evie was in the parade with McFadden

Frankie was very concerned with me.  I was VERY tired.

Matt was looking so nice for the wedding.  I was not feeling cheerful.

Matt with the bride and groom.  So beautiful!

I enjoyed my wedding favor (a delicious cookie!)

The kids were SO sweet and made me a giant get-well card


I hung out on the patio and tried to keep my germs to myself


Going for walks has felt good, mentally and physically


Arrived at the Irish Dance Feis in NH


This older dancer from Evie's school helped with her hair since I wasn't able to be there!  

This was Evie's first competition with her solo dress, wig, and makeup.  Huge kudos to Matt for bravely embracing this as a solo dad for the weekend.
Matt and the kids had a fun weekend away!




Things unraveled further yesterday, when I realized that Noah's birthday party had been a super-spreader event.  With each text, my heart sunk further...I had infected 4 people outside our household.  Matt and the kids arrived home from NH, and all three of them tested positive, as well.  So, this week will be a low-key week at home, while we all hunker down and ride out the virus.  It's still a bit of a shock that this is it.  After 2+ years, we couldn't avoid it any longer, but I am incredibly grateful that our symptoms are mild and manageable.
Yup, all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment