Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Everything at once

I'm not sure why these phases happen with our calendar, but it felt like every possible event occurred in the past week.  We had: teacher appreciation (2 schools), kindergarten screening for Noah, Evie's birthday (a family party and a school celebration), Evie's Irish Step Dance performance, which included two rehearsals, a preschool carnival, and Mother's Day.  Phew.  I literally had to make myself a list each day with a timeline for how I was going to get everywhere I needed to be at the right time.  It was all fun stuff, at least, but we were dragging by the end of the weekend, and the kids' moods were suffering! 

Evie's 8th birthday made me a little emotional.  I always reminisce on the kids' birthdays about the day they were born, and for some reason this year, I feel particularly aware of how fast time is passing.  Eight is a great age - fun, creative, capable, self-sufficient, curious, silly, helpful, kind...and yet I know these days of American Girl dolls and playing school are not going to last forever.  Evie had a great few days of celebrating turning 8, and she is taking it much more gracefully than her mama.








Evie's Irish Step Dance performance was a new experience for us, and we were very proud of our girl and all the other dancers at her school.  They performed an Irish Step rendition of The Wizard of Oz, and Evie was in the scene with "Lions, Tigers, and Bears, Oh My!"  She said she was a little nervous before she went on stage, but one of the older dancers helped her to feel better, and she looked very confident on stage.  Here is a link to her part of the performance: https://photos.app.goo.gl/p4YpZ6jpywUiPJQ46






Noah was not thrilled that so much attention was focused on Evie last week, so he had some pretty grumpy days.  His big moment of the week was kindergarten registration, and when the time came for the kids to go off with the kindergarten teachers, Noah's eyes welled up, he clutched my hand, and he didn't want to go.  It broke my heart (which was already feeling emotional!).  Luckily, Evie's former kindergarten teacher showed up and offered to hold Noah's hand and walk with him.  That did the trick, and off he went!  Preparing to send our second child off to kindergarten feels easier in some ways, since the school routines, teachers, etc. are all familiar.  However, I am feeling really sad about not having a little buddy at home with me during the day anymore.  As frustrated and tired I have been during my years at home with the kids, I have treasured our time together.





Practicing basketball with Grandpa Zeke




To round out my emotional week, we celebrated Mother's Day!  It seemed fitting to pause and be grateful for the gift of our mothers, grandmothers, and the fact that I have been entrusted with these two little people to love and raise.  I started my mother's day with Evie delivering breakfast to me in bed, all on her own.  I opened a few gifts, including a beautiful coaster Evie had made for me at school, and then we got to have brunch with Matt's mom, ran off some energy at the park, and spent some time with my mom and sister, before returning home for some much-needed relaxation time.  It was a really nice day after such a busy week, and I felt surrounded with love and gratitude. 
Breakfast by Evie, my sweet chef


My beautiful gift made by Evie

My mama and her girls




The best Mother's Day Gift - cozy bedtime, with books read by Evie

No comments:

Post a Comment