Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Road Trip


We are off on a family adventure, and I'm not kidding when I say adventure.  The packing started Thursday, and we finally got on the road Sunday morning at 9 to head to the Jersey Shore.  As we traversed the windy roads of Vermont, I had my usual pangs of motion sickness, but then Evie started complaining that her tummy hurt.  We tried distracting her with books, coloring, etc., and then suddenly, she threw up!  In a panic, Matt pulled to the side of the road, and cars were whizzing by us at 55 mph as we tried to get Evie and the truck cleaned up.  We took a deep breath, got back in, and not 30 minutes later, her tummy hurt again.  Before we had time to pull over, she was throwing up a second time.  Let me tell you how happy I was for all the extraneous items I packed - plastic trash bags, extra outfits, HUGE pack of wipes, hand sanitizer.  We used them all.  At that point, we weren't far from the outlets in Lake George, so we stopped there and took a breather.  Naturally, I consoled myself by shopping at the Banana Republic Outlet!  From there we were on the interstate for the rest of the trip, so it went smoothly from a motion sick standpoint.  However, the traffic was awful, as was the weather (torrential downpours), so what should have been a 7 hour trip took us 10 hours.  We finally arrived at the Jersey Shore at 7pm, exhausted and frazzled.  To put some icing on the cake, Evie seemed to develop a cold over the course of the day yesterday, and she woke up this morning and whined/cried for 2 hours straight.  Then I had to have a little cry, too.  What were we thinking going on a trip like this with a 2-year-old?  Why didn't we just stay home and go out to dinner for our 7-year anniversary like normal people?  Don't worry the story has a happy ending...once we got to the beach, all was well.  Beautiful sun, sand, water, and moods.  There's nothing that a little salty air can't cure!  Check back next week for lots of photos from the trip!


Happy 7 years to my hubby (yesterday).  There is no one I'd rather have by my side for all these adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment