Friday, April 29, 2011

39 Weeks - Yes, I am still pregnant

One week until the due date!!  This week has been filled with well-wishing people telling me I'm huge (obviously I'm aware of this fact), that I must be about to deliver, and asking me if I'm STILL pregnant.  I appreciate the concern, but I'm getting a bit wary of some of the comments and the stares from complete strangers at the grocery store.  The worst part is that many women who have children find this to be the appropriate time to share their horror stories and describe the pain they experienced during their own deliveries.  I'll happily compare labor stories after Evelyn is here, but right now, I'd rather focus on happy baby thoughts and be reassured by people that everything will turn out fine.  Personally, I haven't gotten all that antsy yet to deliver, and I trust that Evelyn will make her appearance when she's ready (but I do pray that I won't have to be induced)!

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday, and the baby and I are both still healthy.  My belly is measuring a little bit smaller, which apparently means that the baby has dropped since last week's measurement.  My midwife estimated Evelyn to be about 7 lbs. 4 oz., and she'll gain approximately 1/4 to 1/2 pound per week until she's born.  I'm relieved that I don't have a giant baby in there yet!  According to the Baby Center, she's about 20 inches long, and her weight is comparable to a mini watermelon (fortunately that's not her shape!).  I have been feeling pretty good, with the only complaints being heartburn, fatigue, and some lower abdominal achiness. 

We are in really good shape with getting stuff ready at home, so now we feel like we're just waiting and attempting to carry on our normal lives as much as possible.  We had one 80-degree humid day this week which made me very happy that I won't be pregnant during the summer - I was so loagy and tired, and I swear I could feel my ankles swelling as I drank my banana dacquari!  This weekend is supposed to be beautiful weather, so hopefully we'll be able to get outside and enjoy it.

Here are the belly pics for this week:

1 comment:

  1. Oh Erin, don't worry about labor. It may not be so fun during, but the verse in John 16 is so true that as soon as the baby is born you no longer remember the anguish- at least not in its fullness. It goes by so fast, you'll do well. We're hoping she comes soon though, so we can meet her while we're there!

    ReplyDelete