Tuesday, September 3, 2019

School's In!

We had one final hurrah of summer before the kids started school last week.  I asked them what they wanted to do on their last day of summer, and the list was pretty good: go to the park, go swimming, and get ice cream.  We checked all the boxes and had an awesome day!





The start of school was smoother than I anticipated, but I have to say I'm pretty thankful it was a short week.  It's going to take some time to adjust to the earlier wake-ups, a more rigid schedule and busier days.  However, I'm proud to report that both kids had a great first week.  Evie typically has a hard time with transitions, so I was prepared for a grouchy kid at the end of the day.  Instead, she said, "Mom, I LOVE Founders!"  Evie was also such a proud big sister, and loved being able to show Noah the ropes of riding the bus.


Evie is excited to be in the same class with our neighborhood friend Stella this year!  
Noah had a 1-hour appointment on Wednesday at his kindergarten classroom, and then officially started on Thursday.  He was very excited to get on the bus and head off to school with the neighborhood kids, and I was excited for him, but had my emotional moment as the bus drove away.  My first day of school tradition is to go to Jazzercise in the morning so that I'm not sitting at home being lonely, so that certainly helped me get through the first day without any kids.  Noah came home from school happy but exhausted.  He could barely finish a sentence without trailing off, and struggled to sit through dinner.  By Friday afternoon, he was a puddle of emotions.  My poor boy!  I know he will adjust, but it's hard to watch the fallout.


Evie made Noah some first-day-of-school gifts


Everyone was excited for Noah to ride the bus!

Getting on the bus with Evie

First bus ride!

The afterschool hugs make me sooooo happy!

The other new beginning in our family is not for the kids, but for me...I'm starting a new job with the Society of St. Edmund (the priests at St. Michael's College) this week.  I'm excited for this new opportunity that came along at just the right time, and still allows me the flexibility to be here for the kids.  I'll only be working two days per week, so it feels like a nice balance.  Wish me luck!

We celebrated a great first week and the long weekend with a night out to listen to King Me, a final trip to the fair with friends, and an early birthday celebration (for me).  



We were so happy to meet up with Caroline for some rides!

Riding Dumbo with Caroline!












The kids made their own "fair" in the basement the next day!  That's always a good way to tell that they had fun!

Height measurement for "the fair" in the basement

The first of many birthday celebrations for me!  I felt so loved!

Yum, yum, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment