Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Noah's First Thanksgiving


Our baby boy turned 6 months old on Thanksgiving Day.  What a day for celebrating!  Noah's first Thanksgiving was a good one for him, but not the greatest for me.  I developed mastitis and was very sick for most of the long weekend.  I had a fever with teeth-chattering chills, aches, and even my skin hurt.  To top it off, I felt like I had been hit in the chest with a baseball bat.  This is my first experience with mastitis, and I hope it's the last!  I don't wish that illness on anyone, but it made me thankful for modern medicine to get me back to good health.  

Back to Thanksgiving.  Noah actually slept through the meal, so we were able to eat, and then he woke up and gnawed on a dinner roll.  The only other Thanksgiving food he sampled was some leftover turkey, which he really enjoyed!
I love the turkey bum!
Thanksgiving napper
Baking apple pie
Uncle Corey carving one of the two turkeys
Snuggles with Grandma Karen
We had a little snowstorm on Thanksgiving Eve, and we bundled up the kids and took them for a sled ride around the neighborhood.  It was so beautiful out, and Noah wasn't thrilled at first, but fell asleep as soon as his sled was in motion.  It was hilarious to see the snow that had piled up on him by the time we got back home!

Yes, Noah is in his sled!
I wanted to include a few of the baby book milestones in honor of Noah's half birthday:
  • He is grabbing everything (hair, placemats, phone, toys)
  • He's starting to show some stranger anxiety, even with familiar people like Grandpa
  • He loves shaking toys, especially anything that makes noise - sohpie the giraffe, rattles, etc., and he thinks splashing in the bath is really fun!
  • We wonder if teething has started?  He is chewing on everything, but has no teeth yet
  • He's getting more stable with sitting, but needs to have pillows or someone nearby, because he still topples easily
  • His preferred mode of transportation is log rolling.  He can really move quickly across the room!
  • He sleeps from roughly 8-7 each night.  He wakes up briefly at least a couple times per night but is usually able to soothe himself back to sleep.  
  • He isn't on a completely predictable napping schedule yet, but usually takes a morning and afternoon nap.  Sometimes we get lucky and they are 2-3 hours long!  Other times, 30 minutes.
  • He is very interested in food now.  So far he has tried: squash, sweet potato, peas, banana, pears, avocado, apple, bell pepper, rice cereal, mum mums, pretzel, pizza crust, dinner roll, turkey





Log roll in action
Big Sister Evie is acting like the "threenager" that she is.  The past week has been a struggle with her strong will, independence and rapidly changing moods, and there have been lots of time-outs and meltdowns.  Fortunately there have been lots of fun moments, too, like the time she decided to dress like a robot!  Ha ha!


We welcomed the season of Advent in our church on Sunday and are having fun starting to get the Christmas decorations out at home.  Next weekend we are getting our tree!!!

First Advent tree ornament
Roscoe sends his Christmas cheer

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, mastitis is the worst! I had it with each of the boys. It sucks big time :( I hope you are better now.

    Noah's big cheeks are great!! What a cute boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lindsey! I'm feeling much better now that I'm on antibiotics, and I'm seriously in love with those cheeks too. I kiss them all day long!

    ReplyDelete