Tuesday, January 14, 2014

21 Weeks, Big Girl Bed!

We had been waffling about the right time to move Evie from her crib to a "big girl bed", but we were afraid to change anything with her routine since she has been such a good sleeper.  However, it only took us one time hearing the sickening THUD of Evie climbing out of the crib and hitting the floor last week to convince us that it was time.  I knew she was tall enough to get out, but I just didn't think she'd do it!  Shows you how much I know.  So, we made the transition with the threat that we'd turn it back into a crib if she didn't sleep well.  Are we awful parents for saying that?  Well, it has worked!  There were a few days of early wakings, shorter naps and cranky moods, but after 3 or 4 days, I feel like we've successfully navigated the change.  Evie LOVES her toddler bed, and apparently, so does Roscoe!  Our next challenge is going to be getting rid of the pacifier.  ARGH.




We have continued to be limited in our outdoor time due to the icy conditions everywhere.  (I did a 180 in my car in our neighborhood last week due to the ice, so I'm not risking going out for a walk!).  We're making the best of our indoor time, and Evie had a couple of chances to use her new apron from Christmas by helping Mommy make cinnamon buns and Daddy make homemade pizza.  Hey - no licking the spoon!

The play room has also saved us from complete insanity during our extended indoor time.  Evie has a new tunnel from our friend Donna, which is so much fun!  Good thing Daddy can fit through, because Mommy would definitely get lodged in there.

Now, on to Baby Boy...he's 21 Weeks!  He is roughly 3/4 of a pound and 10.5 inches long (carrot-sized).  He seems to be especially active after I eat, as if he's enjoying the meal, as well.  Physically, I can feel my hip joints loosening up, and it's getting a little less natural to cross my legs, but I'm feeling less nauseous overall.  HOORAY!  I've been able to keep up with Jazzercise and playing my flute thus far, and I'm hoping that my body continues to cooperate and allow me to do these things for a while longer.


I have been really craving protein, so I usually start my day with a bowl of homemade quinoa granola and fruit.  It is one of the few things that keeps me satisfied for a few hours, especially with the quinoa!  For those of you who are recipe people, here's a link: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/crunchy-quinoa-granola/


Sorry if I'm boring you with my cravings, but another staple of my diet is the breakfast sandwich (or "egg burger" as Evie calls it!).  I rarely eat them at breakfast, but I'll eat them any other time of day, including 10:00 at night.  If I see a Dunkin' Donuts commercial, it's enough to convince me to head to the kitchen and cook up a sandwich, and fortunately, my homemade version is healthier!  


I'm feeling tons of kicks and somersaults from this little guy, and we are starting to talk about getting the nursery ready and what we're going to name him.  My favorite name suggestion this week came from our friend Tom - he said we should name him "The Big", so that his full name would be "The Big Guzowski", in a tribute to The Big Lebowski!  Surprisingly, these decisions are just as hard the second time around.  Good thing we have a few months to figure it all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment