Tuesday, July 28, 2015

14 people, 14 months old

I have no idea how all 14 of us managed to find a place to sleep in the camp!
It has been a busy week with the Zehnackers from Colorado in town!  We packed a lot of family activities into a few short days, with play dates, hair braiding, a Shadow Lake trip, birthday celebrations, family dinners, fishing, and the annual family kickball game.  We are all tired but so grateful for the time we got to spend with everyone.  I'll let the pictures summarize the week!
Cousins twinning


The braiding ninja!  She is amazingly talented.
Grandpa's birthday party

Shadow Lake

It takes a lot of food to feed all these people!

Evie and Stefan going fishing

Girl cousins

Noah's expression in this one is too funny

No glass at the beach?  No problem. She'll drink her wine out of a Tervis Tumbler!


Surprised faces

Bingo game

Aunt Katie in Noah's high chair!  Ha!
 
Evie's catch at Indian Brook...right before she fell in the water

This is how we feel now

14 months old on the shores of Shadow Lake
Noah is 14 months old now, and he is a busy, curious, charming, cheerful boy (most of the time).  He loves exploring around the house, and is more interested in opening cabinets and climbing stairs than he is in playing with toys right now.  In the play room, however, he loves the toy grill and play kitchen, and I've been able to practice my flute a little bit while he and Evie are playing together.  Since I've only managed to practice a couple times in the past two months, this is a big win for me!
He is such a little dumpling!
Our most recent challenge is that Noah has been waking up screaming inconsolably once every week or two, and we can't seem to do anything to settle him down.  Nursing, teething tablets, motrin, gripe water, lavender essential oil, snuggles, singing, turning the lights on, leaving the lights off, rocking, setting him down on the floor...nothing seems to work.  I reached a breaking point of frustration last week at 2:00am, literally yelling at him, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU???!!" and then I realized that I'd better lay him in his crib and let Matt take a shift.  We had assumed it was teething related, but several people suggested that he might be having night terrors, which Matt also experienced as a child.  There is no way to know for sure, but we are going to try to treat it as a night terror next time he wakes up in that state and see if we're able to quiet him down more easily.

And, he isn't really walking yet, but I managed to capture him taking a couple of steps on video last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment